Who Knew? NC has a Potato Festival!
It’s true. I just discovered that the North Carolina Potato Festival will take place in Elizabeth City on May 18th from 10 am. until 10 p.m. Some of the fun and unique activities include:
- “Anything but Fries” Restaurant Challenge
- National Potato Peeling Contest
- Little Miss Tater Tot Contest
- Lucky Duck Derby Race
- Car & Motorcycle Show
- Cornhole Tournament
Live musical performances on the Main Stage are planned throughout the day and feature a wide array of music. In addition, there are arts and crafts, concessions, activities and rides for children, and a grand finale Street Dance under the stars.
Interesting facts about potato growing in North Carolina
- North Carolina produces over 18,500 acres of potatoes for commercial sale valued at approximately 23 million dollars.
- North Carolina also ranks about 17th in the nation in cash receipts for potatoes.
- Most of North Carolina’s potatoes are grown in Northeastern North Carolina along the coast.
- Potatoes grow best in Northeastern North Carolina due to the rich, sandy soil and high mineral type soils found there.
- February is known a potato-lover’s month.