Southern Tidbits–everything you need to know about Southern culture!)
Did you know that "The Shag" originated in either North or South Carolina during the jitterbug-era of the 1940s? Carolina Beach, NC, and Myrtle Beach, SC, are the two contenders for the honors. (Check out the background history in the comments below under " RSS comments" and make up your own mind!
The South is well-known for its "sweet tea," but did you know that South Carolina was the first place in the US where tea was grown, and the only location where it is still produced commercially? The tea produced there is the official tea of the White House.
"Hopin' John" (black-eyed peas and rice) is found in most states of the South, but the dish is mainly associated with the Gullah culture of the Carolinas.
"Grits" are as Southern as it gets when it comes to food staples. In fact, most of the grits sold in the US are from a belt of coastal states stretching from Louisiana to the Carolinas, known as the "Grits Belt."
South Carolina was the last state to fly the Confederate Flag on its capitol building in Columbia, SC. (It was lowered on July 1, 2000.)
South Carolina now surpasses Georgia in peach production. The state calls itself, "The Tastier Peach State."
(For more Southern Tidbits go to Categories: Southern Tidbits)
Places to See, Things to Do, Top RestaurantsArts / Culture / History Asheville Charleston Disney Entertainment & shows Family fun; aquariums Festivals / events Florida Florida Theme Parks Food and Wine Golf Hendersonville Hotels / Resorts Mountain Adventures Myrtle Beach Nature NC North Carolina Ocean Orlando Resorts Restaurant reviews Restaurants Romantic get-a-ways South Carolina Southern Tidbits Spas Tours Uncategorized Wilmington, NC
- Planning my trip to Myrtle Beach- staying at Carolinian Beach Resort. For friends traveling soon... -tw...… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 6 days ago
- Summer Fun in Myrtle Beach southern-traveller.com/2019/06/07/sum… https://t.co/K30kroAQBm 1 week ago
- Family Fun on the Isle of Palms at Wild Dunes Resort southern-traveller.com/2019/06/07/fam… https://t.co/XzjaRuTqoq 1 week ago
- Romantic Inns & B&B’s in North Carolina Mountains southern-traveller.com/2019/06/07/rom… https://t.co/FJaRpwDyma 1 week ago
- RT @Travel_theSouth: How amazing do these Flautas from De La Vega in Downtown DeLand look? De La Vega is just one of many award winning re… 3 weeks ago
- 32,146 hits